Clutch is a creative staffing partner. We connect digital, creative, and marketing professionals with companies looking for freelance, temp-to-hire or direct hire resources.
Earth Day 2021 Climate Summit
Today is Earth day and the world leaders are participating in one of the most influential summits of our lives. As a global society, we are facing global disasters that will destroy the habitat that we know and love. Climate change is inevitable, but human actions and greenhouse gas emissions have increased the pace of global warming. Protecting our habitable planet is necessary for human existence, and this global summit could bring together global leaders to slow the progression.
President Biden invited 40 world leaders to participate in the Leaders’ Summit on Climate that will be held on both today, April 22nd, and tomorrow, April 23rd. The summit is being held entirely virtual and anyone can tune and stream it. The goal of this summit is to come to a global understanding that actions need to be taken to preserve our climate. Global leaders will speak not only on the urgency of acting, but the economic benefits that they will gain.
Scientist have warned us that once the Earth warms by another 1.5. degrees Celsius, there is no way to undo the impacts of climate change and we will continue in a forward trajectory in an irreparable climate shift. In order to combat this climate shift, world leaders plan to focus on paying jobs that will be needed to stop the damage, the creation of advanced technologies, and the ability to help countries that are seeing early effects.
By the end of the summit, President Biden and the United States will announce they plan to cut greenhouse emissions by 52% by 2030. The goal is to reduce greenhouse emissions beneath emissions in 2005, meaning a 50-52% cut. The goal in conjunction with the Paris agreement that Biden rejoined when taking office in January.
Here are the 40 global leaders that are attending the climate summit.
- Prime Minister Gaston Browne, Antigua and Barbuda
- President Alberto Fernandez, Argentina
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Australia
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Bangladesh
- Prime Minister Lotay Tshering, Bhutan
- President Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Canada
- President Sebastián Piñera, Chile
- President Xi Jinping, People’s Republic of China
- President Iván Duque Márquez, Colombia
- President Félix Tshisekedi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, Denmark
- President Ursula von der Leyen, European Commission
- President Charles Michel, European Council
- President Emmanuel Macron, France
- President Ali Bongo Ondimba, Gabon
- Chancellor Angela Merkel, Germany
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, India
- President Joko Widodo, Indonesia
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel
- Prime Minister Mario Draghi, Italy
- Prime Minister Andrew Holness, Jamaica
- Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, Japan
- President Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenya
- President David Kabua, Republic of the Marshall Islands
- President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, Mexico
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand
- President Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria
- Prime Minister Erna Solberg, Norway
- President Andrzej Duda, Poland
- President Moon Jae-in, Republic of Korea
- President Vladimir Putin, The Russian Federation
- King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore
- President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa
- Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, Spain
- President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Turkey
- President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, United Arab Emirates
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson, United Kingdom
- President Nguyễn Phú Trọng, Vietnam